TissueGen Fiber-Based Technology for Implantable Drug Delivery
TissueGen® Inc.’s format for drug delivery uses patented, cutting-edge absorbable polymer technology for implantable drug delivery. By uniquely enabling the extrusion process to occur at room temperature, TissueGen is able to preserve the biological activity of incorporated agents so that the widest variety of drugs and therapeutic agents ever possible remain viable when loaded directly to ELUTE® biodegradable drug-loaded fiber.
The possibilities for more effective drug-loading enabled by the TissueGen excursion process are far-reaching. TissueGen has already completed successful fiber extrusions using the following classes of drugs:
- Small pharmaceuticals (antibiotics to anti-neoplastic)
- Peptides to recombinant proteins:
- Growth factors (NGF, VEGF)
- Immune proteins and enzymes (Fab IgG, lysozyme)
- Oligonucleotides to whole virus
TissueGen’s Absorbable Fiber Format for Drug Delivery
Unlike traditional drug delivery formats such as microspheres and nanoparticles, TissueGen’s technology provides both mechanical and pharmacological support from the same fiber – an incredible advantage over other means of drug delivery.
TissueGen’s absorbable fiber format offers many other unique advantages over traditional drug delivery methods:
- Longer therapeutic window – The long cylindrical geometry provides a slower drug release rate than a spherical geometry of the same radius, resulting in an inherently longer therapeutic window for similar drug concentrations.
- Targets internal sites as the source – Fibers are both readily implantable and maintain positional stability, offering an unparalleled advantage when targeting specific tissue sites such as solid tumors.
- Controlled, uniform distribution of drugs and biologically-based entities – Fiber extrusion is a very controlled process, yielding more uniform size distribution than typically found in other formats.
- Tailored release of multiple drugs in a single fiber – Multi-layered, co-axial fibers may be readily produced with each layer containing a unique drug and polymer combination, thus enabling tailored release kinetics for multiple drugs in a single fiber.
- Removable as needed – Fibers decrease the risk to patients because the fiber is removable in the rare case of an adverse reaction, whereas microspheres and nanoparticles are not.
TissueGen can extrude monofilament fibers, hollow fibers, bi-component (core-sheath) fibers, and even fibers extruded with a gel-center. TissueGen can also extrude flat rectangular or ribbon shaped fibers to suite customers’ unique requirements.
A Complete Delivery Platform for Implantable Medical Device Applications
- 2-dimensional, 3-dimensional, tubular and composite textiles
- Scaffolds composed from a variety of absorbable and permanent fibers, including polyester, polypropylene, polyethylene, PEEK, PGA, metallic wires, and more
Common Polymer Types:
TissueGen, Inc. has extruded many of the biodegradable polymers currently on the market as well as proprietary polymers for specific partners. Common polymer types used include:
- Poly(L-lactic acid) [PLLA]
- Poly(p-dioxanone) [PDO]
- Blends with poly(Îµ-caprolactone) [PCL]
- Poly(L-lactic-co-glycolic acid) [PLGA]
- Poly(D,L-lactic acid) [PDLL]